Back to Member Index |
Back to Robot Index
Craig Smith - Wisconsin
Don't be fooled, this is not a delicate model or a toy. This is a completely home built full size R2-D2 replica that
moves, head turns, "talks". And the third leg drops down and retracts going from 2 leg mode to 3 leg mode, all by
Ok, remote control. Not really a robot. but due to the size, weight and power, behavioral problems accociated with
many robots would be a huge risk! Also, I want R2 to interact with kids and not perceive them as obsticles to avoid.
- Controls: 4 ch. R/C
- Actuators: 2 feet have Ford wiper motors turning belt tracks, Head has window motor, 2 to 3 leg function controled by window arm and motor. "holographic projector" oogles around. All realistic fiber optic/LED features.
- Size:42" high 29" wide
- Weight:130 lbs
- Power: three 6V.Power Wheels gel cells. two for 12V systems, one for 6V. systems
- Speed: slow walking speed
- Contruction: 18" PVC pipe body, steel dome, aluminum beam legs and angle iron feet covered with PVC
- Duties: cruizes the theater at Star Wars movie openings. On display and in action at "celebration" Star Wars conventions. (pictures at www.webwidget.org with other R2 builders) Greets trick-or-treaters, keeps my lifesized C-3PO company.
- Future:Would like to upgrade drive system so carpeting isn't a problem, more speed, more R/C channels for arms, periscope, etc... Attend a TCRG meeting!!!